Recent Updates Toggle Comment Threads | Keyboard Shortcuts
I can’t believe the lack of info on HiACE vans.
Here’s how I changed a tailshaft in case anyone else wanted to try it.
- Better to have a pit or hoist. Very hard to do lying under van.
- Mark with white-out or white paint a line along tailshaft/dif/gearbox so you can line everything up again later. Be very precise. It needs to be within about 5mm accurate when you line it all up again. Especially around the centre bearing.
- Undo 4 bolts that join rear uni joint to diff drive shaft. You may need to move car back and forward to make this easier. It won’t fall apart – prise 2 flanges apart with large screwdriver.
- Undo 2 centre bearing bolts. Support.
- As you drop tailshaft, remove shaft from gearbox.
- Put tail shaft in vice.
- Undo centre uni joint.
- Mark centre bearing thread with white-out or take a photo so you know which way it’s lined up. Undo centre bearing bolt. This is a huge bolt, done op tightly, and it has a chisel hit in it to stop it moving. There’s a washer that then comes off after bolt.
- My old bearing then just pulled off by hand.
- Put a little grease inside new bearing and sit new bearing on, but don’t hit it on. Be careful to line it up properly.
- Do up bolt and this will press bearing on.
- Do it up tight. Then hit with chisel in the right spot to fix it permanently.
- Put it all back together.
mark well, very well.
chisel hit bearing thread before re-assembly
easier as 2 man job to help lift tail shaft.
easier in pit or on hoist.
Total time approx 2 hours. This was the first time I’ve changed a tailshaft bearing.
This plugin a beauty for trimming a bloated akismet database from wordpress. See here my kismet has over 600,000 entries of spam – bloating my wordpress table and slowing my site down. This plugin removes them with a click. No need to use phpmyadmin.
Our 10 year old washing machine pump motor has a small leak around the shaft.
1. Download Fisher and Paykel service manual from the web.
2. Order new pump from ebay (from ASAP spare parts) for $36.30.
3. Undo old motor and put new motor in – I DIDN’T EVEN NEED A SCREW DRIVER – It just had a plastic tab to flip and the pump motor screwed out with 1/3 turn.
Diagnose leaky pump: 15 min
Find and order part: 30 min.
Time for part to arrive: 4 days.
Undo old pump and install new pump: 5 min.
Thanks Fisher and Paykel.
Some good websites for cheap travel deals:
We got tickets from Sydney to Auckland for $108 each one way (Carry on baggage only)
We got tickets from Auckland to Sydney for $76.35 each one way (Carry on baggage only)
So we also booked a couple of full cost seats with Air New Zealand and Jetstar with carry on luggage to go with the 5 cheap deals with no luggage.
I got a hire car for 1 day in Sydney for $31.
I booked a hire car in New Zealand (Auckland) for $16 per day. Man that is cheap.
Hired a car for $36 per day in Queenstown, but this included one free ski lift pass per day at Treble Cone ($97 value!)
So the car cost $267 for the week but we saved on 2 ski passes so the car really cost $71 for the week.
If you are going to NZ and can be bothered filtering through junk emails, sign up here and you’ll find a good deal in amongst all the many not so good deals. Having said that, the good deals are VERY good!
- Make sure you have most up to date wordpress
- change database prefix from wp_ to something else (WSD Security plugin will do this)
- change default admin username from admin to something else (add new admin, log out, log in under new user, delete old admin, choose import posts option when u do it.)
- move config.php and files containing Passwords to MySQL to a secure directory outside of the public_html folder and then add this to to wp_config.php
require(‘new path goes here…/yourconfigfile.php’);
- RESTRICT ADMIN TO YOUR IP so that no one else can login to your admin page:
go to wp-admin directory and add to htaccess file:
deny from all
allow from your.staticip.goes.here
- BEGIN WordPress
- install wp secure plugin and select most of the options!
- Store your PHP passwords to access your MySQL databases in a file with a .inc.php and place this file in a directory which is above the server’s document root.
- Run WP Security Scan
A surprising email:
It has come to our attention that your site is using an excessive amount of MySQL resources on your Bluehost account.
So some looking into it, the wordpress commentmeta SQL table for http://macintoshhowto.com was 2.7 Gig. Yes 2.7 GB!!!!!
More looking, it’s a bug with Akismet spam filter cleanup.
These two queries fix it.
select count(*) from dbname_commentmeta where meta_key=’akismet_as_submitted’ or meta_key=’akismet_history’ or meta_key=’akismet_rechecking’ or meta_key=’akismet_result’ or meta_key=’akismet_user’ or meta_key=’akismet_user_result’;
delete from dbname_commentmeta where meta_key=’akismet_as_submitted’ or meta_key=’akismet_history’ or meta_key=’akismet_rechecking’ or meta_key=’akismet_result’ or meta_key=’akismet_user’ or meta_key=’akismet_user_result’;
Then you need to repair and optimise.
Wayne is discussing. Toggle Comments